Why be a Governor?
We are all Governors because we want to make a positive contribution to the education of the children at Swanwick Primary School. We are representative of the different groups of people who are involved with the running of the school.
What do we do?
Here at Swanwick Primary School we have a dedicated team of Governors working alongside and supporting the teaching staff. The Governors are in place to oversee and ensure:
- Clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent.
The Governors also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how the school's budget is spent.
- The appointing and dismissing of staff.
- Hearing appeals and grievances.
- Forming policy on the school's curriculum and collective worship.
- Setting standards for pupils' behaviour and discipline.
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe.
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies.
There are twelve Governors at our school (see the Governors and their roles’ link on this page) serving across two structured bodies.
How are we appointed?
Staff Governor– a member of the staff and who is elected by the staff
Parent Governors – a parent of a child at school elected by the parents, or if there is only one nomination appointed by the governors)
Co-opted Governor – a member of our local community who are appointed by the Governors
Authority Governor – appointed by Derbyshire County Council
Associate Governor – appointed to advise the governors on specific matters
We have vacancies- please see the leaflet in the files below!
How many Governors are there at Swanwick Primary School?
We can have up to 13 Governors (not counting the Associate Governors) comprising of 1 Head, 1 Staff, 2 Parents, 1 LA and 8 Co-opted. At the moment we have 12 Governors.
Who are our Governors?
Acting Head: Joanne Jilavu
Staff Governor: Jenny Wright
Parent Governors: Sarah Brankin. Steven Smith
Authority Governor: Gareth Hughes
Co-opted Governors: Sharon Matan, Stuart Morris, Judith Wing, Rebecca Purdiew, Mike Cutts, Wayne Allsop, Adam Walker
Associate Governor: 0
Resource and Management looks after the school finance, allocation of resources and the buildings
Children and Learning which ensures that the school reaches the highest standards through its delivery of the curriculum in a secure and happy environment.
When do we meet?
We have a committee meetings and a full governors meeting once in each half term. If you would like more information about the role of a governor or on how to become a governor at Swanwick Primary School please contact our Chair, G, Hughes, at Swanwick Primary School, South Street, Swanwick, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 1BZ Tel: 01773 602268, E mail: email@example.com.
Some information on this page is taken from the National Governors Association website, www.nga.org.uk